Skip to Content

Do I have a right to know where my kids live with my ex?

As a parent, you always have the right to know where your children reside, regardless of whether you are married or divorced. Knowing where your children live with their other parent is not only an important aspect of co-parenting, but it is also necessary for ensuring the safety and wellbeing of your children.

In most cases, the court will order that both parents have access to information regarding the child’s residence, including the physical location and contact information of the other parent. This information is typically included in the parenting plan, which outlines the details of child custody and visitation arrangements.

If your ex is refusing to provide you with this information or withholding it from you, you may need to seek legal assistance by contacting a family law attorney. The attorney can help you understand your rights as a parent and determine the best course of action to take.

In some cases, the withholding of information regarding where your children live with your ex may be indicative of other underlying issues, such as a lack of trust or ongoing conflict between parents. In these cases, it may be beneficial to work with a family mediator or seek counseling to help resolve the issues.

As a parent, you have the right to know where your children are residing with their other parent, and it is essential to maintain open communication with your ex regarding the welfare of your children.

Do I have to tell my child’s father I’m moving?

If you are the primary residential parent of your child, you may not be legally required to inform the child’s father of your plans to move. However, it is always advisable to communicate with the other parent when possible and maintain an amicable co-parenting relationship for the well-being of your child.

If you have a court order or parenting plan that outlines custody arrangements, it may have specific provisions regarding relocation. You should refer to this court order or consult with a family law attorney to determine your legal obligations before making any move.

In general, it is in the best interest of your child to have both parents involved and informed about significant life changes, including moving. In addition to legal implications, keeping the other parent in the loop can also help to minimize conflict and maintain a positive co-parenting relationship.

If possible, start by having an open and honest conversation with your child’s father about your plans to move and how it will affect custody arrangements and visitation schedules. Try to address any concerns or issues that may arise and work collaboratively to come up with a plan that is fair and reasonable for everyone involved.

Does my ex wife need to know my address?

Whether your ex-wife needs to know your address or not depends on various factors, including the reason for her request, your current relationship with her, and any legal obligations.

If you have children together and you share custody or visitation rights, she may need to know your address for legal and safety reasons. It is essential to have open communication with your ex-spouse for the best interest of your children.

On the other hand, if you have no children or involvement in any legal or financial obligations, then providing your address is entirely up to you. If you do not feel comfortable sharing your address due to personal or safety reasons, it is understandable. However, if your ex-wife needs your address for any legitimate reason, it may be a good idea to discuss this matter to avoid any misunderstandings.

It is also essential to note that the divorce decree and court orders may contain specific instructions about disclosing personal information, including your address. If you are unsure, you may seek legal advice to understand your rights and obligations better.

Whether you need to provide your ex-wife with your address depends on various circumstances. If there are legal or parental reasons, it may be required. However, if there is no legal basis or personal concerns, it is entirely up to you to decide. Communication and mutual understanding with your ex-spouse can help avoid any misunderstandings and ease any tensions.

Do I have to tell my ex who I live with?

Whether or not you have to tell your ex who you live with depends on a few factors. In general, if you are co-parenting with your ex and have a custody agreement in place, you may be required to provide certain information about your living situation as part of that agreement. If your custody agreement stipulates that you must notify your ex of any changes to your living situation or provide information about your living arrangements, then you would be legally obligated to disclose who you are living with.

If there is no legal obligation for you to disclose this information and you feel uncomfortable sharing the information with your ex, then you do not have to tell them who you live with. However, it is important to consider the potential consequences of not disclosing this information. If your ex finds out from someone else, it could lead to trust issues or even legal disputes if they believe that their children are not safe in your living arrangement.

That being said, it is important to prioritize your safety and comfort when making a decision about whether or not to disclose your living situation to your ex. If you are in an abusive or unsafe relationship and do not feel comfortable sharing that information with your ex, you should prioritize your own safety above all else.

In this case, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist, domestic violence advocate or legal professional to help you navigate the situation.

Whether or not you have to tell your ex who you live with depends on your individual situation and any legal obligations you may have. It is important to prioritize your safety and comfort when making a decision about whether or not to disclose this information, and to seek support and guidance from professionals as needed.

Can my ex leave my child with his girlfriend overnight?

Whether your ex can leave your child with his girlfriend overnight depends on the custody agreement between you and your ex. If you and your ex have agreed to joint custody, then he may be able to make custodial decisions without your input. However, if you have full custody of your child, then you have the final say in your child’s care and well-being.

If your ex wants to leave your child with his girlfriend overnight and you are uncomfortable with it, you should communicate your concerns to your ex. You can discuss your concerns about your child’s safety and well-being with his girlfriend and get to know her better before agreeing to any overnight stays.

You can also request that your ex provide more information about his girlfriend’s home and living situation to ensure that it is a safe and suitable environment for your child.

If you feel that your ex’s girlfriend is an unsuitable caregiver for your child, you can seek legal advice to determine whether you have grounds to modify your custody agreement. If you believe that your child may be in danger or at risk while under the care of your ex’s girlfriend, you should contact your lawyer or local child protective services agency immediately.

The decision to allow your child to spend the night with your ex’s girlfriend should be based on what you feel is in the best interest of your child. If you are unsure about whether to allow overnight stays, you can consult with a mental health professional or family mediator who can help you make an informed decision.

Can I stop ex moving away with my child?

The ability of a parent to stop an ex from moving away with a child may depend on various factors such as the terms of the custody and visitation agreement, the distance of the proposed move, and the best interests of the child. Custody and visitation agreements are typically enshrined in a court order, and if this order specifies that the parents must share legal and physical custody of the child, then neither parent can relocate the child without the written consent of the other, or a court order.

Parents who share joint legal custody will typically need to work together to make decisions about a child’s health, education, and welfare, while parents who share physical custody need to agree on a parenting time schedule that is in the best interests of the child. When a parent wants to move away with a child, that parent must request a formal modification of the existing custody and visitation arrangement.

If the non-relocating parent objects to the move, the court may hold a hearing to determine if the move is in the best interests of the child.

In such hearings, the judge may consider factors such as the reason for the move, the distance between the old and new homes, and the impact of the proposed move on the child’s relationship with each parent, the child’s school, community, and friends. If the proposed move is seen as not being in the best interests of the child, the court may deny the request to relocate.

Unless there is a formal custody and visitation agreement or court order prohibiting the parent from moving with the child, both parents generally have the right to relocate with their child. However, if the parent objects to the move, the relocating parent can be prevented from moving with the child if the court finds that it is not in the child’s best interests.

Do you have to tell your partner your every move?

If you and your partner have a strong bond built on trust and openness, then it may be easier to share information about what you are doing and where you are going. This may help to reinforce transparency and avoid misunderstandings, creating a more harmonious relationship. You may even enjoy doing activities together or discussing your plans, which can foster a deeper connection.

On the other hand, if you and your partner have different levels of independence, then sharing every detail may not be necessary. If you both value your alone time and do not wish to intrude upon each other’s privacy, then it’s understandable not to share everything. Additionally, in situations where trust may not be fully established, sharing excessive information can cause undue stress and anxiety, which can lead to further complications in the relationship.

Overall, the decision of whether to share your every move with your partner depends on your preferences and objectives as a couple. It is essential to establish open and honest communication about boundaries and expectations. This can help you and your partner maintain a healthy and positive relationship and avoid unnecessary arguments or misunderstandings.

Can exes live in the same house?

It is definitely possible for exes to live in the same house, but it depends on the circumstances of their separation and their level of mutual respect and maturity. For example, some exes could continue living together as roommates out of financial necessity or due to shared responsibilities, such as co-parenting children or caring for elderly family members.

In other cases, exes who have simply grown apart but still have a platonic friendship may find it comfortable to continue living together without any romantic involvement.

However, if the breakup was contentious or involved one party being hurt or betrayed by the other, it may not be healthy or advisable for them to continue living together. Emotions can still be raw, and living in close proximity could trigger negative feelings or prevent both parties from moving on from the relationship.

Additionally, if there are any lingering romantic or sexual feelings between the exes or if one party is hoping to reconcile, living together could be more torturous than healing.

It’s worth noting that living with an ex can be difficult for anyone, but especially for those who may be vulnerable due to trauma, mental health issues, or past experiences of abuse. In such instances, it’s crucial for both parties to prioritize their emotional and physical safety, and seek out alternative living arrangements where possible.

Whether or not exes can live together comes down to specific circumstances and individual personalities. It requires a significant amount of maturity, respect, and communication from both parties to make it work, and even then, it may not be the best option for everyone.

How can I prove my ex is living with someone?

If you suspect that your ex is living with someone else and wish to prove it, there are several steps that you can take.

1. Conduct Background Research: Before jumping to any conclusions, conduct deep research to gather information about your ex’s current address or any social media activities. A quick Google search or social media search can reveal information about your ex’s current status.

2. Hire a Private Investigator: If you want concrete proof, you can hire a private investigator. The investigator can follow your ex and gather evidence of them living with someone else.

3. Check Mail and Utilities: Another way to gather evidence is by checking the mail or utilities. If your ex is receiving mail or bills to a different address, it could be a strong indication that they are living with someone else.

4. Look for Social Media Posts: Check your ex’s social media accounts to see if they have posted anything that suggests they are living with someone else. Photos of their new living space or partner can give clues.

5. Ask Mutual Friends: Reach out to any mutual friends and ask if your ex is living with someone else. However, take their information with a grain of salt since rumors can spread like wildfire.

It is important to remember that proving your ex is living with someone else is not the end goal. It is essential to focus on your own emotional well-being and move forward.

What to do when you break up with someone you live with?

Breaking up with someone you live with can be a difficult and emotional experience. It’s important to handle the situation with care, respect, and sensitivity for both yourself and your former partner. Here are some steps to help you navigate the process:

1. Have an honest and respectful conversation: Sit down with your partner and have an honest conversation about why you feel that the relationship isn’t working out. Try to avoid blaming and focus on expressing your own feelings and needs. Be respectful and listen to their side as well.

2. Figure out living arrangements: One of the most pressing issues after a breakup is figuring out where each person will live. If one of you can move out immediately, that’s great. If not, try to make a plan to divide the living space fairly until one of you can find another place to live.

3. Divide belongings: If you’ve been living together for a while, you’ve likely accumulated a lot of shared belongings. Sit down and make a list of everything that needs to be divided between you two. Decide who will keep what, or if you need to sell or donate some of the items.

4. Set boundaries: If you’re going to continue living together for a short time, set boundaries to make it easier on both of you. Consider setting up a schedule for cooking, cleaning, and using shared spaces. Also, try to avoid bringing dates home or having confrontations in the house.

5. Take care of yourself: A breakup can be emotionally challenging. Make sure you take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating well, and staying active to keep your mind distracted. Lean on friends and family for support, or consider seeing a therapist to help you process your feelings.

Breaking up with someone you live with is never easy, but taking the time to handle it with care and sensitivity can make the transition smoother for both of you. Remember, it’s okay to take some time to heal and move on. With patience and positivity, you can come out the other side stronger and happier.

Do I have the right to know where my child is during visitation in California?

As a parent, it is natural and important for you to have concerns about the well-being and safety of your child during visitation time with the other parent in California. You may be wondering if you have the right to know where your child is during visitation, and the answer is not always straightforward.

California family law states that both parents have the right to access information about their child’s health, education, and other important matters. However, this right does not always extend to knowing the specific locations of your child during visitation.

When a court grants visitation rights, it will typically include specific terms and conditions that outline how visitation will take place. These terms may include a schedule for visitation, the location(s) where visitation will occur, and any other relevant information such as who will transport the child to and from visitation.

If the visitation agreement includes a specific location for visitation, then you may have the right to know where your child will be during that time. However, if the agreement is less specific and does not include a specified location, you may have a harder time enforcing your right to know.

It is important to note that in cases where there are concerns about the safety or well-being of the child during visitation, the court may require the non-custodial parent to provide more specific information about their plans and whereabouts. For example, if there is a history of domestic violence or substance abuse, the court may require the non-custodial parent to provide frequent updates about their location during visitation time.

If you have concerns about your child’s safety or well-being during visitation, it is important to discuss these concerns with your attorney or the court. In some cases, it may be possible to modify the visitation agreement to include more specific terms or restrictions on the non-custodial parent’s activities during visitation time.

The answer to whether you have the right to know where your child is during visitation in California will depend on the specific terms of your visitation agreement and any court orders related to visitation. If you have concerns about your child’s safety or well-being, it is important to work with your attorney or the court to address these concerns and determine the appropriate actions to take.

At what age can a child refuse visitation in California?

In California, there is no specific age at which a child can refuse visitation with a non-custodial parent. However, courts will take the child’s wishes into consideration when making a decision about visitation. The child’s age, maturity, and understanding of the situation are all taken into account.

California law recognizes that children have the right to have a meaningful relationship with both parents unless it would not be in the child’s best interest. This means that a child’s refusal to visit with a parent will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

If the child is mature enough to understand the situation and express their wishes in a reasonable manner, the court may take their opinions into consideration. However, even if a child expresses a desire to refuse visitation, it does not mean that the court will automatically grant their request. The court will ultimately make a decision based on the best interests of the child, which may include factors such as the child’s age, relationship with the non-custodial parent, reasons for the child’s refusal, and any potential harm to the child by granting or denying visitation.

It’s important to note that if the court has already issued a custody and visitation order, both parents are required to follow the terms of that order. Failure to comply with the order can result in legal consequences for the non-compliant parent. If a child is refusing visitation, it’s important to seek legal counsel to understand the options and potential consequences.

What are visitation rights in California?

Visitation rights in California refer to a legally binding agreement that allows a non-custodial parent or another individual, such as grandparents or step-parents, to spend time with a child. This agreement is usually put in place during or after a divorce when one parent is granted primary physical custody of the child, and the other parent has visitation rights.

In California, visitation rights are determined by the court, and the decision is based on what is deemed to be in the best interest of the child. The court will consider various factors such as the relationship between the child and each parent, the child’s age, health, and emotional well-being, and the ability of each parent to provide for the child’s needs.

There are different types of visitation rights available in California, including supervised visitation, unsupervised visitation, and virtual visitation. Supervised visitation is commonly ordered when there is a history of abuse or neglect, and the parent must visit the child under the supervision of a third party.

Unsupervised visitation allows the non-custodial parent to spend time with the child without supervision, and virtual visitation allows the parent to communicate with the child via video or phone.

It is important to note that visitation rights are not automatic, and a parent must petition the court to be granted visitation. If a parent is not granted visitation rights, they may still have the opportunity to request a modification of the order in the future.

Visitation rights in California are a legal agreement that allows a non-custodial parent or another individual to spend time with a child. The decision is based on the best interest of the child and can include supervised, unsupervised, or virtual visitation. It is important for parents to seek legal guidance to ensure that their visitation agreement is fair and in the best interest of the child.

At what age will the courts listen to a child California?

In California, the courts consider the child’s best interests when deciding whether to take their preferences into account. As such, there is not a specified age at which a child’s voice will always be heard in court. Instead, the age and maturity of the child are taken into account, as well as other factors that can impact their ability to express their preferences and make informed decisions.

In general, children who are around the age of 14 or older may have more weight given to their preferences, but this is not always the case. Younger children may also have their voices heard in court, depending on their level of maturity and their ability to communicate their preferences effectively.

The court may also appoint a Guardian Ad Litem or an attorney to represent the child’s interests in court, which can help ensure that the child’s voice is heard and their best interests are considered. This person can help the child understand the legal process, communicate their preferences to the court, and advocate for their needs and wishes.

The decision of how much weight to give to a child’s preferences in court will depend on the specific circumstances of each case. The court will consider factors such as the child’s age and maturity, their relationship with their parents or other caregivers, their living situation, and any other relevant factors that could impact their well-being and best interests.

When can you deny visitation to the non custodial parent California?

In California, denying visitation to the non-custodial parent is not favoured by the court. The court believes that a child’s best interest is to have frequent and continuous contact with both parents, and it’s essential to maintain the relationship between the child and parent even after divorce or a separation.

The court assumes that the non-custodial parent has visitation rights, and it’s the custodial parent’s responsibility to honor those rights. However, there may be circumstances where visitation may be denied. These circumstances include:

1) The non-custodial parent poses a significant risk of harm to the child. For instance, if the non-custodial parent has a history of domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse or sexual misconduct. In such cases, the custodial parent can file for a restraining order that prohibits the non-custodial parent from contacting or visiting the child.

2) The non-custodial parent doesn’t show up for the scheduled visitation or fails to meet certain requirements. For example, if the non-custodial parent fails to attend parenting classes or hasn’t paid child support.

3) The child refuses to visit the non-custodial parent due to emotional or physical abuse.

Denying visitation to the non-custodial parent is a serious decision that should not be taken lightly. The court strives to maintain a child’s relationship with both parents in the best interest of the child. However, there may be situations where visitation may be denied to ensure the child’s safety and well-being.

It is essential to consult a qualified family lawyer for legal advice on visitation rights and visitation denial in California.


  1. The Right To Know Where Your Child Is During Visitation
  2. Do I Have the Right to Know Where My Child is During …
  3. Do I have a right to know who my ex has around my kids?
  4. Do I have the right to know where my child is staying … – Avvo
  5. Do I need to disclose the address of where my children and I …